Instructors from both sections of EDCI339 hosted an online conversation about opening learning last Thursday. It is an excellent opportunity to display how Twitter works as an educational tool in open learning. From reviewing the participant’s comments and ideas, I admit that Twitterchat helps me understand more about open learning in terms of K-12. It conveys different opinions throughout the world and collects these opinions in a specific hashtag #edci339, which increases learning opportunities and various perspectives.

During three weeks course of Distributed and Open Learning, this course transfers from distributed learning (e.g., Coursespace) to open learning (e.g., WordPress), which brings us to experience about differences between distributed and open learning. I agree with Leona’s opinion: opening learning benefits the flexibility and accessibility of course learning materials (@leona_ngan). Students without a mandatory password can review previous posts at any time and place. However, Miss Millar also addresses a question about implementing open learning tools. Parents with many children may find it hard to manage different platforms asked by schools (@MissMillar3), especially even for the same school that has multiple platforms.

Implementing open learning in K-12 needs to consider related regulations such as FIPPA  and safety protection policy because K-12 students may not experience this educational form before and may lack the ability to distinguish online fake news. Therefore, through reviewing and commenting on this topic, I notice that open learning helps close students’ relationships and collaborate effectively between instructors, learners, and learning contexts.

Reference:

Twitter accounts:

@leona_ngan

@MissMillar3